The Staff of the Foundation of Epileptology, established in 1993, have organised or co-organised many research studies dealing with:
- Clinical evaluation of new antiepileptic drugs (this research was published in Epileptologia and other international journals);
- Characteristics of epileptic patients in Poland 2000-2001 (works published in Epileptologia).
- Case studies of the natural progression of undiagnosed and untreated epilepsy;
- Analysis of the level of interest of medical professionals in epilepsy in different administrative units in Poland, based on Polish Antiepileptic League (now the Polish Society of Epileptology) membership, the number of subscriptions and the number of contributions published in Epileptologia.
Multi-centre Prospective Study of Epilepsy "Epilepsy 2000"
A Multi-centre Prospective Study of Epilepsy "Epilepsy 2000" was conducted in 2000-2001. The purpose of this project was to evaluate and research the social, diagnostic and therapeutic aspects of epileptic patients in the year of the study. The following groups of topics were studied:
I - Sources of Information,
II - Patient Characteristics,
III - Epilepsy Characteristics,
IV - Treating Epilepsy,
V - Comorbidity,
VI - Pharmacotherapy,
VII - Treatment-assisted Intervention,
VII - Remission.
Collection of questionnaires was completed in 2001. All in all, 6 204 questionnaires were sent in from all 13 centres, serviced by 113 neurologists. Simultaneously, audits were initiated in randomly selected centres. The findings are published in Epileptologia:
- Majkowski J., Dobrzyńska L., Artemowicz B., Kmieć T., Nowak S., Owczarek K.: Demographic, social and medical characteristics of 6 204 epileptic patients in Poland in 2000 - 2001. Multi-centre prospective study. Epileptologia 2003, 11: 101-119
- Majkowski J., Mazur R., Majkowska-Zwolińska B., Jędrzejczak J., Jóźwiak S., Dobrzyńska L., Nowak S.: Prevalence and characteristics of 581 epileptic patients with status epilepticus. Prospective, multi-centre study in Poland, July 2000 - May 2001. Epileptologia 2003, 11: 321-338
- Majkowski J., Korwin-Piotrowska T., Jędrzejczak J., Kozik A., Jóźwiak S., Motta E., Majkowska-Zwolińska B.: Epileptic seizures in Poland between June 2000 and May 2001: Types and frequency. A multi-centre study. Epileptologia 2004, 12: 5-25
- Majkowski J., Majkowska-Zwolińska B., Owczarek K.: Effect of age of onset and duration of epilepsy on seizure frequency. A multicentre study in Poland. Epileptologia 2004, 12: 205-219
- Majkowska-Zwolińska B., Jędrzejczak J., Owczarek K., Majkowski J.: The characteristics of pregnant women with epilepsy. A prospective, multi-centre study in Poland 2000 - 2001. Epileptologia 2004, 12: 317-326
- Majkowski J., Kaciński M., Jędrzejczak J., Motta E., Majkowska-Zwolińska B., Kaczyńska-Haładyj M.: Pharmacotherapy of epilepsy in Poland, 2000-2001. An analysis of a multi-centre, prospective study of 6195 patients. Epileptologia 2005, 13: 11-27
In preparation: Remission.